© Photopassjonata | Dreamstime.com – Rollercoaster For Kids Photo
A year ago this week, I quit my day job to write full-time. What do I have to show for it?
Two years ago (May 2013 to May 2014), I wrote two novels and two short stories, in addition to my regular administrative assistant position.
From May 2014 to May 2015, I finished one novel and one short story.
Yes, on paper it looks like I’ve been half as productive as when I was working, but numbers aren’t everything.
If I don’t have the numbers, what have I accomplished this year?
1. I went to my first reader event – Romancing the Capital – and learned enough that I was confident enough to sign up as a presenting author next year. (If you are going to be in Ottawa in early May next year, I promise you’ll have a great time.).
2. I got my first two Hollywood to Olympus books (Screen Idol and Drama Queen) into print. That was huge. Leading Man will be in print soon.
3. I learned a ton about the business of publishing which is only going to help as I continue in this industry.
4. I have been writing. I have 100,000+ words sitting on my laptop. That is the equivalent of two more novels, which would definitely make me more productive than the year before. But since they aren’t published, it’s going to make next year look all the more impressive.
What does 2015/2016 hold?
1. One more Hollywood to Olympus novel. I hope to have book 4 (Sean and Caitlin’s story) out in the fall. I’m going to miss Hollywood to Olympus; it’s been a great experience but I think I am wrapping up the series in 2015. I can’t believe I wrote a series and had it published. Talk about a dream come true. I have ideas for a few more stories from the set but I’ll have to see if I have time to go back and tell them all.
2. I had to temporarily set aside H20 #4 because a great opportunity came up. I am currently neck-deep in a new contemporary series. I’m not releasing any details yet but it’s gonna be hot. And sexy. And funny.
3. Once I finish my new contemporary, and finish book 4 (so, in August), I hope to get to work on a new sci-fi shifter series which was based on my now out-of-print short story Bear With Me. I hope to have the first story out by Christmas.
4. Speaking of Christmas, I also need to get another holiday story out because that was too much fun to do only once. It is yet another project that is already started. (Dom and Olive are a crazy couple. Their relatives are no better.)
And that’s just in the next six months.
Stick with me, kids. It’s going to be a hell of a ride.